A Travellerspoint blog

Belfast to London to Zurich to Hong Kong - Wed, 10 Aug 2016

Bye bye Ireland - Hello Hong Kong

Flying through the night - Business Class on Swiss Air

Had a great sleep last night and then had a little sleep in as we were going downstairs at 8.15 am to say goodbye to the gang, who were leaving for Scotland.

Lots of hugs and kisses and then we stood on the footpath for ages, in a very cool wind, waving goodbye as Brian was trying to merge the bus into the traffic. Then they were off, one of the nicest groups we have travelled with.


We then went in for breakfast, back up to the room, final packing and back down to the foyer for our 11 am pickup. We waited and waited, and no taxi came so reception phoned the taxi company and they said they had a booking for "Button" for 11.25 am but they would send one straight away. It only took about 15 minutes to get to the airport, and it's raining. Our taxi driver was only born in 1970, at the very beginnings of "the trouble" and of course, he grew up through all the violence and danger. He thinks it is just great now, because being born into it, he didn't know any better. We had a very indepth discussion with him re politics and religion and he agrees that it's time to move on and start trying to live peaceably with one another. Not going to happen, I'm afraid.

We have found the Irish accent in Northern Ireland very hard to understand.

Check in went smoothly but we thought we might, and we did, have to collect our bags at Heathrow and rebook them through to Hong Kong.

The British Airways flight from Belfast to London took about an hour and left on time and Phil thought it was pretty couth as they served spirits along the way. He had a G&T.

On arrival at Heathrow, we had to collect our bags and find our way from Terminal 5 to Terminal 2, via lifts, escalators, moving walkways, a train, more lifts and finally we arrived at Terminal 2, an hour and a half after we had landed. Just as well we weren't in a hurry to catch our flight.

We are now sitting in the Lufthanser lounge, having a snack and a drink, before we board our 6.40 pm flight for Zurich and then on to Hong Kong.


The flight for Zurich took one hour twenty minutes and left about 20 minutes late, but after another long walk, up and down huge escalators and another train ride, we arrived at our departure lounge with about an hour to spare.

We had a very delicious snack on our Swiss Air flight from London. It is just enough.


We were expecting to board our flight to Hong Kong at 10.10 pm for a 10.40 pm take off, but they just announced a delay due to a problem with the tail and are hoping to board at 10.50 pm. Yipes! Fix the tail please, no matter how long it takes.

We finally boarded about midnight for our eleven and a half hour flight to Hong Kong. We had eaten some snacks in the Lufthanser Lounge so when they mentioned a huge meal we opted for the soup and salad, which was very delicious and then bedded down for the night. The beds are long and flat and I was very comfortable. Phil thought his bed was too narrow but we both had a pretty good sleep.


I also misunderstood the announcement re the reason for the delay. When we boarded, the pilot told us that there was a problem with one of the tyres and after it had been fixed, the entire aircraft had to be checked thoroughly. Fine by me, as long as it keeps me safe in the air.

Posted by gaddingabout 07:08 Archived in Ireland

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint